Jan 17, 2011

Dwelling in the Inquiry

Photo by Bgrace

I used to think my destination was a place where I would finally have all the answers. 
A place where I could finally rest in the "truth." 
That place would be peace, it would be sanctuary, it would be home.

"One thing I have desired of the Lord.
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord
And to inquire in his temple."
Psalm 27:4

But the Psalmist doesn't seem to describe his resting place this way... 
No, home is not the place where you have all the answers, but the place where you can forever ask.
It's a place where you have found all You need in the presence of the answerer.
Home is the place where we rest in the asking.

Communion with God and communication with God, however intimately connected, are not the same thing.  When our communication with God (IE. getting answers), becomes more important to us than our communion, we lose our ability to rest in Him. The rest in communion is the context necessary for intimate communication to take place.  It is then and there we can ask, and where He does answer. 
Though His answers are most often doorways to even greater questions.

1 comment:

jean said...

Love the picture...a true shelter and safe place to dwell.