![]() |
Christa Barnell "deerdancer" |
I didn't know whether she was dead or alive. I struggled to pull my kayak up beside her and was able to lift her onto my lap with my oar. The weight of water on her fragile limbs spread her flat and cold against my leg.
Dave had told Carol and I that the water was possibly at hypothermic temperatures. In other words, he explained, about 30 seconds after being in the water our bodies would go into hypothermic shock. We were being extra careful not to tip. I wasn't sure how she ended up in the water, but I guessed that once she felt the cold, it overcame her.
My heart was overwhelmed with tenderness for her and I knew I had been given a special gift. Part of me wanted to keep her forever...but another part of me just wished she could lift her wings and fly.
Carol was up ahead and I made my way over to her, careful not to crush my passenger. "I've been given a gift," I said to her. She looked at me suspiciously, not sure if I was joking or not. I think she was afraid I was going to toss a dead snake at her or something.
"I'm serious," I said, "It's a good thing."
As I paddled over beside her she peered into my kayak and saw what was on my leg. "Ohhh, she's beautiful," she said. "Is she alive?"
"I don't know yet," I said. "She's not moving." "I'm going to call her Ophelia."
"Ophelia?" she looked at me quizzically.
"Yes, Shakespeare...Hamlet."
"Ooooh."
Soon I felt a gentle pricking on my leg, and Ophelia's wings flapped upward. "She's alive!" I shouted.
After a while, Ophelia tried once to lift off, but she stuttered and landed right back in the water. I fished her out again and placed her back on my bare leg. This time she stayed. She kayaked the lake with me for over and hour. When we got back to the boat docking area, I wasn't sure what to do with her. I let her climb into my hat, but she climbed right up my arm. For some reason she seemed to like my skin. She rode back to camp with us, wings moving now and then, but she didn't try to take off.
When we got back to the cabin, I took her into my room. She climbed onto the window sill and didn't move until morning. When I got up, I took her out into the living room in my hand and she stayed there for a good couple of hours. We bonded. I was becoming as attached to Ophelia as she was to my hand.
There was no question...I had to bring her home to live with me. I tried feeding her humming bird nectar, but she wasn't interested. I was beginning to worry she would starve. On Sunday morning, before we left, I gave her one last chance to fly away. I explained that I would take care of her if she wanted to come with me, but this was her last chance to stay in Potter County.
Ophelia wouldn't budge...not even with a little encouragement. She rode back to Harrisburg on my shoulder and then moved to the window and watched the river for the last leg of the trip. We pulled into Carol's driveway, and with fear in my heart I opened the door of truck. Ophelia caught the gust of the breeze and her wings took a powerful plunge and she was off.
I felt the wind of loss and joy all in the same breath my lungs sucked in. She was free and she was gone in one swoop. She rose and rose all the way over a 25 foot tree and never looked back.
"I'll miss you Ophelia," I said. "I hope you like your new home."
I turned to unload the truck. Carol looked at me, feeling my mixed emotions.
"Let me know if you see her," I said. "Take care of her for me."
Ahhh, but there is Another who watches over her.
How could I doubt it, since for a while, He sent her me?

1 comment:
Wow- incredible. Simply incredible. This is who I picture when I think of Ophelia--
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/John_Everett_Millais_-_Ophelia_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Post a Comment