![]() |
| Photo by Bgrace |
I've been thinking about it this morning.
Dad and Mom met me at the door, having arrived from Brazil a day before me. I heard Dad's exuberant holler, felt Mom's pats on my back, and the familiar safety of their love enveloped me.
Home.
Yesterday I wrapped my arms around little Sarah's slinged arm and shoulders and saw her eyes sparkle at the African head band I brought her. "Hi Mom," she whispered shyly, then curled her head into the crook of my shoulder as I gently held her.
I waited for Em and Grace at the bus stop. Em got off and ran toward me yelling at the top of her voice, "Mom, you're back from Africa!" It was so good to see them. Em jumped up and down and talked a mile a minute and Grace hugged me and said, "I missed you Mom," in her quiet, gentle way.
Home.
Jean came over as soon as she got off work. Her excitement at my return, warm welcome back hug, and happy chatter made my insides smile.
Home.
Sam about wagged his back end off at the sight of me and followed my every step around the house. When exhaustion finally took over I laid down while Mom and Jean heated up dinner for the family. Sam curled up in the crescent shape my legs make when I sleep on my side--his favorite resting place.
Home.
I stayed awake as long as I could, but an eighteen hour plane ride with two hours of sleep the night before and buckets of emotions will exhaust a girl. My body clock was 6 hours ahead, so I fell asleep waiting for dinner. Suddenly these two strong arms pulled me out of my sleep and into a warm embrace. "I missed you so much, honey," the familiar and much missed voice woke me out of the darkness and I found myself in my husband's arms.
Home.
This morning, I slept in 'til 5 AM. That's 1PM Swazi time.
I remembered how last Sunday morning, in the middle of the service at Pastor Walter's church, I slipped out the back and let the tears run unchecked down my face.
"I don't feel ready to leave Swaziland." I spoke to the Lord out loud. "There's so much here that needs to be done." The presence of God was palpable.
"Are you calling me here Lord? I am willing to come here," I offered.
"No," was His firm reply.
So I pleaded with Him to tell me, "Then where?"
"Everywhere," He said.
I laughed, God always finds a way to surprise me with His words.
"Then I will go, show me how," my prayer was more of an ache.
And I know, because He goes with me, anywhere and everywhere is...
Home.
HOME
In that simple word, there is shelter, comfort, sanctuary, and room enough for everyone.
Even for the so many least of these I met in the last two weeks?
Those who have no dad, no mom, no husband;
No food;
No dry shelter with electricity and running water;
No sympathy from friends or shoulder to cry on;
No way to get their medicine for the disease that claims their body;
No way to make sure their children are cared for when death swallows them up.
Yes, there is Home in the arms of God, even for them. A home that cannot be taken away. A home that will last.
The most surprising thing about Swaziland, to me, is how many of them have crossed over the threshold of that doorway and live in the sanctuary of that belief.
More than ever before I saw the blessings of Matthew five come alive these past two weeks. The call to help our brothers and sisters and children and parents and grandparents in Christ Jesus rings all the more clear.
They have much to teach us.
We have much to learn, and much we can give.
3 “ Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

3 comments:
oh how I wish I was HOME so I could hear all about Swaziland! Call me when you catch your breath :)
Home...Becky your "words" are full of life and love. And God is at home in your heart and soul and He continues to breathe life and love in and through you. I am so blessed to share "home" with you!
It is good to have you home!!
Becky, this is your teammate Ken. You words are so inspirational. Thank you for sharing. May God bless the Swazi people and especially the children! I have bitter sweet feelings. One one hand it is so good to be home and on the other hand I long to return already. I sent you a couple of emails since returning. Have you seen them? I'll never forget my "old pair of shoes friend". God bless you and your family.
Post a Comment