![]() |
| Photo by Bgrace |
I went running today.
(Go ahead, pick your jaw up off the floor.)
So, it's a little bit of everything...and of course it's all unusual because it's me...but today I finally decided to just do it (swoosh).
I know--you are are thrilled, overjoyed, overcome with pride. I am (three hours later) bright pink, jelly legged, and begging Sam's forgiveness for not taking him.
See, in January--when I was lying in Lancaster General Hospital waiting for the ER Doc to explain to me why 30 minutes before I had been experiencing pain like labour on acid, and then with no explanation I was lying there feeling just fine trying to talk them out of sticking needles in my arms--the Lord told me to start running.
Really? You want to talk to me about this now? Smack in the middle of kidney stone trauma?
Suffice it to say, I didn't believe Him. Well, it's more accurate to say that I didn't believe my ability to perceive Him correctly at that point. And even if I did acknowledge it somewhere in the recesses of my mind I still didn't quite arrive at the God means what He says level of reception. (That's been a little bit of a problem for me.)
A couple weeks ago, I took Grace to the Nike outlet to get her sneakers. I saw this perfect pair of running shoes for me. Grey with purple. They were just staring at me from the box singing how much is that doggy in the window. I went to Kenneth Cole and got a $10.00 purple purse instead...I figured I'd get much more use out of that.
Five months later I finally yield. I've been walking for a while...and I want to run. I just hate how it feels. But I know it's the next thing. Fasting was teaching me so much for a while...but it is time for a new lesson, a new teacher. Running is such a mental wilderness for me.
I was thinking about you this morning. I was thinking that if you were here, we could do this together. And then I was thinking about how many years I've missed out on that. I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. I know God has had a purpose in all of it, but it was still a sort of ache. We have a lot of time left though, I believe that. Maybe by next year I will be able to keep up with you. OH, and I'll be in great shape for Mount Katahdin, the sequel.
But there is more to why God is asking me to run. I know that, but it is not all clear yet. I am willing as long as He runs with me.
"So, Rebecca, if you're worn out in this footrace with men, what makes you think you can race with horses?" (Jeremiah 12, sort of)
Today, He gave me a sign.
No, really.
I was down by the second pond at Masonic, I round the bend, and there, right in the middle of the path is a huge turtle. Nice! I'm practically dying and God is mocking me! I nearly tripped I was laughing so hard.
"I'll run the course you lay out for me if you'll just show me how."
Psalm 119:32


7 comments:
So the real question is: how sore are you TODAY?!!! haha! I've really been enjoying running again now that it's warm. And if you get up early on a humid morning and go for a jog, you can *almost* trick yourself into believing you're running at the beach :) Love you.
Well, I must say the stairs were harsh on the thighs. I got up at 5 today to go running. There was a mourning dove in my path waiting for me on the way to the second pond. I was rewarded with the sunrise right before I went down the hill by the fountain. If only the Masons knew they keep those gardens just for me. :)
Hey Laur,
I think there's a race on town in two weeks. Wanna run with me? (I promise I won't invite the horses.)
Oh and today Em is riding again. Dad's friend Gregs stables. Check it out HTTP://knightslandingstables.com
Hello brave daughter,
Yes, I am super proud of you. I think you will be used of the Lord to help others get on the running bandwagon. You have also encouraged me to start my own exercise program that will include running at the gym in Sao Leopoldo. I will attempt to do 15 laps each time out. It takes about 20 minutes of running and it is just about 3 miles. Actually, the first half a mile always seems the hardest for me. How about for you?
Wouldn't it be great to have Greg and his son both climbing with us. Let's pray to that end. I actually think he could do it. He is a monster in basketball when he is in good health.
Looking forward to running with you often but remember, you will have to be in good shape to run and talk at the same time. Love you.
Dad
The thing I don't like about running in the morning is that I'm still so stiff from sleeping- I find I get pooped out much quicker than if I go in the afternoon or evening. It's unfortunate that the early morning hours are the "best" time to run when you have kids to look after... Send me info on that race, but I probably can't do it bc of going on vacation soon :(
Well then,if you can't do the race you have to make it up to me by climbing the mountain. :)
Lauren I agree with Becky, mountain climbing it is then!!! We can all get it shape by then :-)
Post a Comment