Aug 2, 2011

The Vegan Thing

Pike Place Market, Seattle
Photo by Bgrace
OK, so here's a brief explanation to all of you who are curious, and to those who aren't...feel free to skip out.  I am a vegan now...most of the time.  I tell my friends that I am a vegan except when I'm mad at God and then I have cheeseburgers.  I haven't been mad for at least 6 weeks.  Actually, it's more like this: 
I basically try to eat only what comes from a seed.  And my reasons are purely spiritual.  Not that being a vegan is more spiritual than not.  It is simply for me, a sort of full time fast.  Most people don't fast most days, and some people fast every once in a while.  I fast most days, and every once in a while I don't.  The once in a while I don't fast is because I feel like the Lord and my body are saying, you need an extra dose of protein.  (Which since I run four miles a day...also God's idea and my new favorite pastime...is a reality.) So I try and eat only what my body needs and then return to the fast.  That generally happens about one meal a month. 
I don't think it is unspiritual for me to tell you about my fast because I am not walking around in sackcloth and ashes about it.  I used to, but I am very much at peace with it now and actually enjoy it.  I rarely, if ever, have cravings and my body has never been happier.  Though when the Lord first told me this was up His sleeve, I must tell you my response was something akin to despair. 
That was six years ago.  I've been learning off and on ever since, and in June, when I started running, I finally knew it was time to stop dabbling. 
SOOOOOOO.....just in case any of you wonder what I can eat...I'll give you some great ideas.
For breakfast there are actually quite a few things on my list.  Of course there are always fruits and smoothies etc. Cereal and oatmeal with fresh fruit and nuts...just check to make sure there is not dairy.  I also love bagels and soy cream cheese.  Rice cakes or bread with peanut/almond butter and jelly is also wonderful.  If I am in the mood for something salty, grilled asparagus is nice and so are herbed potatoes wrapped in a flour tortilla with salsa.  I prefer coconut milk but almond is good and soy creamer works great in coffee.  REALLY nice treat is the chai tea soy latte you can get either at your coffee shop or in the organic section of your grocery store.  I knew I was going to make it over the long haul when I found a lemon blueberry muffin recipe that is actually good.  (Even Matt liked it.)
In summer all things are so much easier and more delicious, but here are my top favs from the farm market.  An Asian slaw (spicy lime/ginger dressing) with noodles with peanut sauce is fantastic and great to take to a cookout if it might be the only thing you can eat.  Good Seasons Italian Dressing with Balsamic Vinegar is delicious on all sorts of salads but my favorite is spinach with dried cherries/cranberries, pecans/almonds and thinly sliced red onion. Vidalia dressing (Costco) and Greek dressing are usually vegan too.  I think at least once a day this summer I have had a fresh tomato sandwich.  Juicy ripe slices with spinach and Veganaise (it really is better than real mayo)  on whole wheat sourdough (check for dairy/eggs if bought premade) is near heaven.  Homemade asparagus soup is a close second (I freeze it) or tomato soup made with water or soymilk is good too. 
Snacks are really important to have on hand.  Hummus, guacamole, and a variety of salsas are great with tortilla or pita chips.  (I have a great corn/black bean salsa recipe.)  I also keep frozen vegetable spring rolls on hand. And if you REALLY need a fix--McDonald's french fries baby.  The good news is your better chocolates (dark) are mostly vegan. Make your own gorp...cashews, chocolate chips, and dark cherries is my favorite combination. Of course...fruit and veggies too. 
For dinner, I usually do something with a potato, rice, or noodle.  Couldn't live with out Giant's Simply Enjoy Diablo sauce which can satisfy me when nothing else seems inviting. Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Vegan butter is really yummy with sauteed beet greens.  My favorite meal which I have at least once a week is grilled veggies over rice with or without beans.  You can always have veggie/tofu stir fry, black bean burgers, etc. 
Dessert--dip fruit in chocolate or do fruit crisps.  OR JUST HAVE SWEET WINE!  :-)
Try it.  You'll be surprised how good it can be.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Can I just come live with you and eat whatever you eat? Sounds perfect :)