Aug 16, 2011

"Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do!"

Photo by Jean
I know, I know.  My blogging has been a bit on the sporadic side and I haven't really taken the time to let you all know what's going on in B land lately...and there IS a lot going on!

August 1st I started school.  No.  Not seminary.  I am learning how to be a massage therapist at Baltimore School of Massage.  It is a one year program at the end of which I will take my national and state licensing exam. 
My dear Dad's reaction to this news was....WHAT?!?
So I understand if you are thinking this as well....but after I convinced him I wasn't going in the direction of a steamy massage parlour he settled down a bit. :-)  Love ya, Pai. 

Soooo, what is it then?  Well, the Lord and I had a good ol' knock down drag out wrestling match and I basically said, I need another year or two.  BUT I need something to do with my hands now!  First, I need to know that I can do the school thing...that my spirit is steady enough to deal with the long term stress, without the added element of having to face the unreconcilables in theology.  Second, the more Grace becomes involved in the dance world, the more I started to understand how important her muscles are to the process, and I want to stay a part of that with her and would love to work with the dancers.  In the midst of all that I also learned that horses need massages too, and may end up going in that direction as well to stay connected with Em. 

Who knows...but as I look back at the process of what got me here, I know now that God had this up His sleeve for a while, and there are trail markings behind me, I just didn't notice them until recently.  I do believe God has answered my prayer to give me something to do with my hands.  I am convinced that there is the possibility of so much healing through touch and I think this is going to be a deeply meaningful tool in my tool box.  I remember when God asked me to quit Seminary how grieved I was.  A friend of mine sent me to the Hershey Spa and I remember the presence of the Lord with me through the whole day in such a palpable way...through the rain, through the quiet, but especially the touch of the therapist.  She met my grief with her hands when words could not have helped.  I want to be able to do that for people.  And I am guessing that when you add prayer and the Spirit of the Lord to the mix, wonderful things can happen. 

I am falling more and more in love with New Hope Church. Our ministry in Swaziland continues to progress.  We have finished raising funds for Eliya's House of Cards and are mostly through our third house for Numsa, a Gogo with ten children who's husband died a few months ago. The construction of Sheila's house is almost complete.  A group from our church was there a couple weeks ago and only doors and windows were lacking. 
Photo by Chris Cole

Here is a photo Chris Cole took when they were there.  Sheila is holding a picture of Wil and I and her.  We wanted her to be able to remember how much she touched OUR lives.  We are going to be doing Christmas cards this year...so hang tight for more news on that.  (I know, I need to update that blog too!) 
On September 11th I will be teaching the Girlfriends Unlimited Bible Study.  We are going to be talking about our Identity in Christ.  And yes, friends, I would love to see you there.  It is held on the second Sunday evening of every month at 6 PM.  The first night I will share some of my own testimony, so if you want to understand how God has been working in my life during the last couple of years, please feel free to come.  On September 4th I will be preaching for both of the Sunday morning services.  (Yes, in fact, I DID use the word preach.)  Kind of exciting, isn't it?  Like I have said before, when God tells you where to go to church, He knows what He is doing, and He's got things up His sleeve you wouldn't believe! I am very blessed to be given the opportunity.  My sermon is entitled The Long Stretch of Submission, and I will be talking about the life of Mary.  If you are in town Labor Day Weekend I would love to see you. 

Sarah starts kindergarten this year. I finally stepped out of denial and decided to register her last week.  Em and Grace will be in 4th and 6th grade.  Em is still riding horses and needs to start taking voice lessons soon.  She fills the car with beautiful songs.  Grace is growing into a beautiful dancer.  She is very excited to be in COBALT again this year.  Matt is still at Rettew...and for now we are keeping the possibility of moving to Pittsburgh at bay.

Mom and Dad are looking toward retirement next year, and I am beginning to contemplate what it will be like to have family nearby for the first time since marriage.  It sort of feels like home is coming to me.  I am very much looking forward to helping Mom set up their home and I am looking forward to having a running buddy in Dad. The girls can hardly contain their excitement at having a Grandma and Grandpa they can see..."you mean every week?" 

Let's see, what can I pass on to you media wise? 
Movie: The Help.  Go see it.  Really.  Best movie out in a long time...and take a box of tissues, for laughs and cries.  Puff's, no lotion.
Book:  OK, so I've been holding on to this one for a while.  I almost bought it when I was in Seattle last year, but felt I should wait.  I finally got the green light two weeks ago.  I think this is on my all time Top 10 List, which is saying something. 

 
The Book is entitled Wave, by Suzy Lee.  It is a wordless book about a little girl at the seashore.  My friend looked at the book and said, "It's like someone saw you at the seashore and wrote a book about you."  Couldn't have 'splained it any better.  And though I look at it and see myself, and laugh and cry, I'm guessing if you love the ocean, you'll see yourself in it too.  That's what good writers, illustrators, preachers, and artists of all strains are able to do. 

Blessings,
B

3 comments:

God Inspired by Ken Roosenberg said...

Awesome!I cannot wait to hear you preach on the 4th. I have told you before that I think God speaks so well through you.

I am going to try to get Janine to come to your Bible study. I have been trying to get her to go to the girl friend events with no success yet. Several people email her about them. Maybe the Bible study would be a good beginning for her. Maybe if she would get a personal invite from someone that would help too. I am going to go undercover and ask a few people to ask her without saying that I put them up to it.

Rebecca Grace said...

I'm glad to know you will be in town.I would love to have Janine at the study. I'll mention it to her when I see her.
B

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Here is my second try at writing a comment. I am excited about your new venture. It is wonderful to see how God opens doors for you to use your many gifts. Your courage and creativity have always encouraged me.(That began when you first began to talk and walk.) At times I am in suspense as to what is coming next. But that is the fun of being your mom. How wonderful to see what is happening in Swaziland.Remember to save some cards for me. I hope I can be one of your massage clients...just hope I don't have to take up ballet to do so. As to your preaching....I am looking forward to hearing some of that as well and know my heart will be blessed (and not just because I am your mom). If God wills, fun days are ahead for us "close by". Hugs from far away for now. Mom Col. 3:17