Sep 13, 2010

8 Years

Grace at 8
Photo by Bgrace
You learn something new every day, they say. Last week I learned what a magenta crayon looks like after a 1 year old sneaks it into your dishwasher and you have the cycle set on heated dry. Yesterday I learned that Sam is big enough to nab food off the kitchen counter top. Today I learned that it does matter if you use margarine made with corn oil instead of butter in the cupcake batter.

Eight years ago today I learned what it was like to go into labor. I was induced two weeks before my due date because Grace was already almost 9 pounds and I was NOT about to have a 10 pound baby. So I was encouraged into giving birth with petocin and a long hook they use to break your water. Matt, being the scientist that he is, was enthralled with the machine I was hooked up to. It monitored each contraction and spit out a scrolling printout of what was happening to my body. There’s really nothing quite like a full blown contraction. I remember lying there tied to the machines feeling my belly harden and cramp, I sucked in all the oxygen from the room and squeezed my hands around the supports on my bed. Matt had the printout in his hands and looked up at the screen, excitedly he informed me, “Hey, you're having a contraction!”
No kidding, Babe.

Eight years ago today I learned what it was like to hold the baby I had carried for 9 months in my womb. She was the most beautiful baby in the whole world…like all my babies. There is nothing quite like that first time. The first time I wrapped my arms around the bundle that only seconds before was in my belly. The first time I introduced myself and promised her I’d take care of her. The first time I kissed her eyelashes and drew my nose over her face and whispered I love yous in her ear. The first time I held her to my breast and felt the strong suckle of a hungry infant. The first time we fell asleep together after a grand adventure.

Eight years ago today I became a Mom. There’s nothing quite like it. Love like you’ve never known before. Tired like you’ve never imagined. Touched by another human being in the deepest part of your soul in a way you’ve never experienced. Moved to care for, nurture, protect, and pour the best parts of yourself into a little person—physically, emotionally, spiritually. And that’s only the first couple of minutes.

I’ve learned a lot of new things over the past 8 years. Many of them from you, Baby Grace. And today I just wanted to say thank you.
I love you.

Happy Birthday