![]() |
| Photo by Bgrace |
"Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."
Psalm 42:7
I've always loved the sea--especially early in the morning. It has this way of overpowering the chaos in my mind. I love the way the sand sifts between my toes, the sun warms my face, and the seagulls hover, ready to pounce on my doughnut crumbs. Most of all I love the waves. They lull me into such peace. Their movement is always captivating--sometimes gentle, sometimes powerfully fierce. But I can't fully experience the sea by watching it. I have to get in it. Sometimes the water plays with me--it chases my heals or gently cradles me as I float from wave to wave. It can lift me up and give me a breathtaking ride--or it can grab me in its undertow, pull me completely upside down and twist me into a knot. It can take my breath away with its chilling intensity one moment, and rock me in its soft rythms the next.
One thing I'm certain of...I can't control it.
The Psalmist who used the sea to give us a picture of his journey with God understood that. And this past year more than ever I have come to understand that about God--I can't control Him, and I'm not even in control of my experience of Him. But no matter how intense it all gets--the deepest part of me was made to desire the deepest intimacy with Him. So I'll choose to take on the ocean, whether it pushes me under or lifts me up, as long as it pulls me into Him.
