Sep 13, 2010

One Thing

Sway
Photo by Bgrace

“Purity of heart is to will one thing.”
Sören Kierkegaard


Do you ever have moments of clarity?

Every once in a while I settle in my spirit long enough to examine all that pulls on my heart.

Those things which blind and pull me from the one thing I most deeply desire begin to release their grip.

Their power over me wanes as I hold them up to the light of truth.

I am more able to make room for God's desires to hold sway over my being.

Desire can deceive with such subtleness.

It morphes into so many different forms.

Sometimes it's a matter of priority:

Doing what I want to do instead of what most needs to be taken care of.

Or even full blown avoidance:

Doing anything but what I am supposed to be doing.

Sometimes it's motivation:

Doing the right things for the wrong reasons.

Or directional:

Meeting a legitimate need in an illegitimate way.

Like going to the wrong person, or a person rather than God.

But what's really tricky...

Doing what you have every right to do, in the right way, with the right motive...

Except that it isn't OK because someone else might be harmed in the process.

Am I willing to give that up for the sake of another?

Perhaps it comes down to being directed by God in every movement of the heart.

"You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."
Mark 8:33

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
Matthew 5:8