I was thinking yesterday that I'm going to have to have a 40 day "not a vegan" celebration series after this...which means I'm wearing thin. It means I'm starting to think a little too much about Pizzatown every day when I drive by.
This weekend I had a moment of clarity. I started this vegan fast because I felt God directed me to do it, but I didn't have clarity as to what lesson I was learning in it at the start.
In the October 11th reading in Amy Carmichael's book, Whispers of His Power, I came upon this phrase: "Do not long for what is not given." I realized that was the lesson in this fast.
I have always felt God wanted me to explore and create and enjoy EVERYTHING that was inside "the garden" of this fast. It was never about being miserable. It IS about not longing for what has not been given. And perhaps the lesson that must come before that is to learn to say no when I do long for that which has not been given. To depend on God to strengthen me to abstain. Then my desire for Him is strengthened so that in comparison the pull toward all else is greatly diminished...that I come closer to the point where I truly don't long for anything outside of Him.
This is what fasting does, it teaches our bodies to walk out what God is teaching our spirits. If we can only master our bellies...
On Day 13, to celebrate what I could have, I pulled out my favorite jam. Peach maraschino cherry. I had it on a bagel with peanut butter. My Mom's friend Bev Donahue gave me this recipe. Follow the Certo directions for peach jam and substitute 1/2 C. chopped maraschino cherries for a 1/2 C. of the peaches.
For lunch I made my favorite Minestrone. So easy, from market bags to table in 30 minutes. It's basically zucchini, corn, cabbage, celery, onion, fresh oregano, basil, parsley (you can use dried but fresh herbs make a world difference here), diced tomatoes (canned is fine). Put it in a pot with canned white and kidney beans (don't drain), and some elbow or spaghetti noodles. If you use noodles it will take a little longer to cook. Throw in a couple veggie bouillon cubes, a can of V8 juice (or more diced tomatoes or tomato juice works fine too.) Bring it all to a boil and then simmer for 15- 20 minutes. For the kids and Matt I throw in sausage or hamburger after I take my portion out. Jean brought sourdough bread and some wine over and we had a nice quiet lunch.
For dessert I had picked up a treat at Roots. Spice drops, my Mom's favorite.
Before school I reheated a pretzel from Roots. I had leftovers from lunch after I got home and snagged a banana for a late night dessert.
No comments:
Post a Comment