Oct 2, 2011

40 Day Vegan (Day 4)

Had to teach this morning so I left the house too early to eat.  Had coffee on the way and decaff tea (with sugar) between services.  I was pretty beat when we got home so we made Sunday dinner easy.  While we were getting it ready I put out tortilla chips and salsas and hummus.

By Bgrace

In about 30 minutes dinner was on the table.  (Helps to have lots of hands.)
Big noodles with tomato sauce.
The sauce is homemade.  I learned it from my friend Heather who married into an Italian family.  Just heat a small amount of olive oil in pan and add a couple tablespoons chopped onion. When they are golden brown, add crushed tomatoes (I only had one small can in the cupboard so I added two cans of tomato juice and it was great.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Add generous amount of basil and Kosher or Sea Salt.  If your sauce is bitter, don't add sugar, add more salt.  Simmer 30 minutes.
Today I threw mushrooms (grilled from a couple days ago) and veggie balls in my sauce.  (I gave the rest of my family real meatballs.) The veggie balls are frozen and made of chickpeas and veggies and I forget what else.  They are OK, not great enough to promote.  And I realized after I made this recipe that I prefer my mushrooms sliced...oh well.  I tossed the noodles in a small amount of olive oil and then added sauce.  Salad with Italian dressing.  Rye bread heated in oven and dipped in a plate of olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.  It's nothing fancy but it's quick and easy and filling.

This afternoon I had apple chamomile tea and grazed on some potato chips because the kids were eating them.  (Does that sound like I am making excuses??)

Dinner was leftover green bean/potato/sundried tomato roast from yesterday, but I added stone ground dijon mustard and it became a great potato salad.  I really wasn't hungry for anything else, but had myself a nice glass of sangria before bed...(which is now.)
I will try to have a more interesting menu for you tomorrow, but I am not making promises because I am babysitting my cousin Michael's baby daughter Grace Stull and I am studying for my exam on the nervous system.

No comments: