Oct 3, 2011

40 Day Vegan (Day 5)

This morning, I actually had breakfast.  I had a cinnamon raisin bagel with Tofutti cream cheese (soy.)  It's very good.  Had coffee and then mid morning had warmed apple cider.


For lunch I made my favorite EASY pasta salad.  1 package noodles cooked al dente (I usually use rotini), 1 can small kidney beans, 1 can white cannelloni beans, 1 can olives, 1 can diced tomatoes, half a bottle of Good Seasons Italian made up with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Mix well and serve.  You can add cukes.  If your not doing vegan pepperoni is nice too.  This my whole family eats.


For dinner, I got home late and needed something to warm my bones so I pulled out my favorite fall meal.  Asparagus Soup.  Just licked the bowl clean!  :)  I make it in the spring and freeze it.  I am so tired that I will put up a pic and the recipe tomorrow, (the soup recipe is seriously the best asparagus soup you will ever have.)  My kids beg me to make it.

Asparagus Soup Recipe:
1 LB. asparagus (Cut in thirds to make it easy.)
1/2 C. chopped onion
13 0Z broth (I use veggie but you can use chicken)
2 T. margarine (I use Earth Balance)
2 T. flour
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. fresh lemon juice
Cilantro
1 big scoop vegan (soy) sour cream (For nonvegan version you will need 1 C. milk, 1/2 C. sour cream.)

Cook asparagus in covered pan with onion and 1/2 C. broth 6-8 min. or until just tender.  Blend until smooth.  Melt margarine in pan, blend in flour, salt and pepper.  Stir in broth.  Cook to a boil.  Stir in asparagus puree and sour cream (and milk if non vegan.)  Add lemon juice, heat through.
Top with cilantro and serve.  (If I am serving my kids I also add about 1/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese on each of their bowls.)
If you are going to freeze this, leave out dairy and lemon juice.  Thaw and heat soup and add dairy and lemon juice after.  

No comments: