Oct 30, 2011

40 Day Vegan (The last nine days)

So I have been a little AWOL.  I'm not proud.
But I have been keeping the 40 day fast.  I have a few new items to add to the list.  Peanut butter cookies that are so good I have to hide them from my family.  Carmel dip with peanut butter (for apples and pretzels).  Who knew you could make caramel without milk???.  Seaweed salad--one of my favorite things to order at the Asian Bistro...and guess what?  Costco has it. And you know what else they have that doesn't have dairy or eggs?  Apple Strudel. (Yes, my friends, most puff pastry does not have butter.)  Fruit Crisp--I finally got the topping right.  Corn and black bean salsa with white corn chips, hot chocolate (yes, dairy free and maybe even better.)
The interesting part of all this is that, at some point a couple days ago, I realized that I wasn't craving much of anything.  I mean, I feel hungry, and I eat. I try to eat healthy, though honestly the easy thing is to do is to grab some noodles. But food has lost its importance to me.
Food has become less interesting and appealing.  It is sort of sad in a way, because there is a lot of joy for me in being creative with food.  Yet I find that it has cleared the air, so to speak, for me to hunger for other things.  My cravings are of a different sort.  Or maybe more accurately, I notice the other cravings I have that were masked by food, or diverted by food.
Perhaps that is why the desire to post about my food has waned.  It just isn't that important to me anymore.  A couple times over the last week I have thought, oh, I need to post about my vegan food...and haven't wanted to.  But I did want to share a spiritual gem I had gleaned along the way...but then didn't because I didn't want to take the time to catch up.  Or because I was too busy living in it to write about it.  
I continue to find that the long term aspect of this fast is truly accomplishing things in me.  And I am seeing power to change in areas that seem to have been stuck for a while. I have about a week to go.  I am curious to notice what further change will be worked out in me.
Blessings,
B

 Black Bean Corn Salsa

This recipe is fantastic.  I have never served it without people asking for the recipe.  

Use white sweet corn--a pack of frozen is fine.  Drain a can of black beans.  Dice a  red bell pepper.  Mince 3-5 garlic cloves, depending on how strong you want it.  Chop a big handful of fresh cilantro. Add as much diced jalepeno (fresh/frozen), chopped as you like.  Generally I add about 1/2 if my kids are eating it, and a whole if it is just for the adults.    Add olive oil, lime juice, and Kosher salt to taste. (Start with 1/4 Cup olive oil, and about half as much lime juice.)  Stir and let it sit at room temp. for the flavors to blend.  Correct taste after 1/2 hour, if your family hasn't eaten it all by then.

For the fruit crisp topping I used 1/2 C brown sugar, 3/4 C flour, 1/2 /coats, 1/2 C vegan butter.  Crumble it up and put it on top of your prepared fruit.    

No comments: