Oct 20, 2011

40 Day Vegan (Day 20 ,21,22)

Well, friends, I have not yet caved to my craving for blue, swiss, or cheddar, but am feeling a strong affinity towards pizza right now. 
It is interesting.  I am experiencing some breakthroughs spiritually that are definitely far beyond anything I have experienced in a long time.  I am learning how effective a long term fast can be.  And though my body is feeling less and less excited about the vegan thing, my spirit is truly ready for the next half.

Day 20 began with leftover banana blueberry pancakes.  I had asparagus soup for lunch with a greens salad.  For dinner I had pasta and diablo sauce.

Day 21 I decided I must make myself some new food.  So my breakfast was oatmeal with pecans and blackberries. 


I love to make oatmeal in fall.  I cook the oats in water or soy milk and add a banana, nuts, cinnamon and vanilla while they are cooking.  Then I pop some berries on top and drizzle with maple syrup (the real stuff) and brown sugar.  My kids won't eat oatmeal unless I make it for myself and then I only get about 1/3 of a bowl for myself.  So I make a big bowl. 

For lunch I made rice and beans again because I was craving it, and decided to pop some sweet potato fries in the oven and make a new recipe for a salad.  This one will definitely be a repeat.  It is from my Easy Vegan cookbook.  It's called Green Bean and Chickpea Salad with Sesame Dressing.

Basically you cook green beans for 5 minutes and drain them in cold water to set.  Then made a sake sauce with stock and cook them in it again.  You toast sesame seeds and then grind them into a paste (I used my coffee grinder) and then throw the rest of the sauce, paste, green beans and a drained can of chickpeas into a bowl and toss.  It's got great depth of flavor and Sarah loved it. 
L, I didn't include exact measurements because I remembered you don't like chickpeas...but if anybody wants the recipe let me know.

For dinner I had a vegan burger Jean was kind enough to make me.  She added yellow tomatoes, spinach, red onion, cukes, Veganaise and Ketchup.


Day 22 has been a lot of leftovers so far, which I am very grateful for and have enjoyed very much.  Almost as much as my nothing says fall like Woodchuck hard cider.  For dinner tonight I am planning on Tomato Soup (out of a can), salad and crackers.  If something changes I will let you know. 

18 Days to go...

No comments: