Oct 6, 2011

40 Day Vegan (Day 8)

So much to tell tonight...
This morning I had my usual start...coffee.  Then Sarah and I went apple picking.  Literally up the hill.  The orchard is on my running route.



Later, we snacked on pickles while I got lunch ready.  I have been missing rice.  I really could eat it every day.  I made rice and beans (see Day 1) and served it with steamed broccoli.  Sarah loved it.


I served it with one of my favorite salads...

This is super easy, and very yummy.  Spinach, red onion, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, balsamic vinaigrette.  If you want to make it especially nice, trade the sunflower seeds for candied pecans or walnuts, or pine nuts and the nonvegan version would have smoked Gouda.

I must confess, I ate the rice and beans 3 times today.  At lunch, before school, and when I came home.

I must say, I have not had a craving for something nonvegan in a long time....but my husband bought a big bag of Reese's peanut butter cups and I was thinking about them on the drive home...
I didn't cheat.
Instead, after I ate some more of the above,  I had a glass of Bully Hill Banty Red wine, and I slapped a big glob of peanut butter on a plate, cup up some apple slices, grabbed a 70% cocoa vegan dark chocolate bar, and headed to heaven.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

oh Becky, can't I just come live with you??? All these foods look fabulous, but between the nausea and the exhaustion, all I can think is, "who wants to make a salad when I can just eat a donut?!" But... I'm headed to the doc this morning, so I'm hoping to get some zofran (and the accompanying strong lecture) and then maybe bean and greens will become a staple in this house again. I'm loving these posts!

Lauren said...

and btw, I've always thought that Sarah favors Emily, but in that second picture she looks SO MUCH like Grace :)